This soup is earthy and full flavored, redolent with onions and garlic, and thick with baby bella mushrooms in a rich vegetable broth. I based this recipe on the mushroom soup recipe at The Kitchn. I left out the dried mushrooms (since our own veggie broth used in this recipe was made with oven-dried mushrooms) and the 4 tablespoons of butter, bringing the cost and the fat way down. This soup will warm and comfort you on the coldest day!
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz. baby bella mushrooms, most roughly chopped, but leave a handful of thick slices
- 6 cups vegetable stock*
- 1/2 c. dry white wine
- 1 T. nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper
- Put 2-3 tablespoons of water in a pot and add chopped onion and garlic. Cook on very low heat for 10 minutes, watching carefully and adding water as required.
- Add the mushrooms and stir to combine. Add 2-3 tablespoons of the vegetable broth and cook over very low heat for another 10 minutes, again watching carefully and adding water if needed.
- Add 1/2 c. wine and the rest of the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Add nutritional yeast and stir to dissolve
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 1 hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Use a rich and savory vegetable stock like the one linked in the ingredients. If you don't use our recipe, add 1/2 oz. of minced dried mushrooms to the wine and water, bring to a boil and steep for 20 minutes before adding to the pot with your vegetable broth, and use whatever spices you prefer.