This basic pizza crust recipe can be used for regular and thin crust, or for calzones. You can add herbs to the dough if you like.
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 4 cups of flour
- 1 t. salt
- Dissolve one packet of yeast in 1 1/2 c. warm water.
- Stir together 1 1/2 cups of flour and a teaspoon of salt, then stir into the yeast/water mix until smooth. Let the resulting batter sit covered for 30 minutes.
- Stir in 2 1/2 more cups of flour and turn out onto a floured cutting board. Knead additional flour into the dough until it’s not sticky any more.
- Shape and bake as recipe instructs
For a thin and crispy crust, roll the dough out as thin as you can, and bake on a pizza stone. For calzones, roll into two ten-inch circles.